First, you must be wondering why there is a fake investor? I also feel the same. I would say this is the highest level of art in the investment industry. The possible intention of them could be
1) They are also looking for investors.
2) They want to get money from you.
I've some experiences that people message to me on Linkedin and saying that they are an investor looking for projects to invest in. Normally, people are very interested to connect with investors, however, I feel the responsibilities for my startup clients if I'm going to introduce some investors to them. Here is what I found out while dealing with fake investors, hope this will be helpful for you.
1) They don't have Linkedin.
2) They have Linkedin but they don't have profile photo.
3) They don't have a company website.
4) Normally, they will send you a long email, which you still don't know what they want to say.
5) They don't use social networking app, ex. Skype, Wechat, WhatsApp, Messenger, Line, Vibor, etc.
6) When you Skype with them, they don't have enough internet to have a video chat with you.
7) They are from some countries you don't know.
If you have any question, please feel free to leave your comment, or discuss with me.